In this article:
What are M&A's?
Every UK limited company must have a memorandum and articles of association under the Companies Act 2006, which must be delivered to Companies House when incorporating a company.
If you incorporate your company with us you can choose to use Companies House's standard (model) M&A's.
The M&A's are comprised of two parts:
The memorandum is a single-page document where the subscriber/s (the owners at the time of incorporation) agrees to become members of the company. The memorandum includes:
- the company name
- the subscriber/s
- having a share capital or not having a share capital
The Articles of Association
Articles of association set out the rules that the officers must follow when running their companies. The document defines the responsibilities of the director/s and how control can be exerted within the organisation.
Uploading your own custom M&A's
Companies may alter these documents to suit their own particular methods and procedures which they intend to adopt. However, the standard M&A's are fine to use as is. If you set up your company with us, there will be an option to upload your own M&A's. You can request a copy of the memorandum of association template from Customer Support to use as a guide.
Where can I find a copy of my M&A's?
A copy of your M&A's and other documents can be downloaded from your account. Click here for instructions.
Making changes to your M&A's
Any changes to the M&A's will need to:
- be agreed by all members (only if you have more than one director or shareholder)
- have the new M&A's written and sent to Companies House
- and you will need to create a resolution and send this within 15 days to Companies House
Depending on why you’re making the change you may also need to fill in one of the following:
- a statement of company objects if your company is changing the objects in its articles
- change of constitution by enactment if your change is because of a change in the law
- change of constitution by order of court or other authority if your change has been ordered