Proof of ID and address document checklist

All formation agents (that's us and our competitors) have a legal obligation to check Proof of ID and Proof of Address documents. This is to ensure we comply with Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regulations and 'Know Your Customer' (KYC) requirements. Our free online Proof of ID check ensures you get validated quickly and simply.

Who needs to provide Proof of ID?

  • Basic packages: Account Holder
  • Privacy, Comprehensive & Ultimate packages: Account Holder, Directors and PSCs

In this article:

Chinese, French, Italian and Spanish translations available:

To activate your service:

Your service can not be activated until all ID has been verified.

There are three options to consider:

  1. If you are the account holder and sole officer (director and PSC) in your company, use our online ID proof validation software (for UK residents only)
  2. If your company has more than one officer (director and PSC) and you are a resident of the UK we will try to validate you electronically. You will need to complete this form so we can manually process your information through our online checking system. Please note, you will still need to upload your proof of ID and address when completing the form. This must be done for all officers of the company. Please click here to find out what happens if the check fails.
  3. If you are a non-UK resident (or do not want to go through options 1 or 2) - you will need to scan the necessary certified documents to: Alternatively, you can post the necessary certified copies to: Compliance Department, Made Simple Group, 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU. Please do not send us any original documents in the post.
  4. (Please remember to include your company name.)

Click this link to use option 1: 
Click this link to use option 2:

Below are the documents we require if you’re using method 2 or 3.

- Proof of ID (we require one of the following for the account holder, and each director and person with significant control):

  • Passport
  • Driving Licence (with photocard)
  • National Identity card
  • HM Forces Identity card
  • Residents Permit card

- Proof of Residential Address (we require one of the following for the account holder, and each director and person with significant control):

  • Utility Bill (Gas, Electric or Water)
  • Telephone bill (excluding mobile phone bill)
  • Insurance Letter (Motor, Home or Life)
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Council Tax Bill
  • Bank/ Building Society Statement (includes Credit Card Statement)
  • TV Licence
  • HM Revenue and Customs Letter/Notice of Coding
  • Letter from Benefits Agency
  • Financial Statement (e.g Pension/ Endowment)
  • Polling card
  • Tenancy Agreement

The Proof of Residential Address document must:

  1. Be dated within the last 3 months
  2. Show the account holder/company officer’s name and address
  3. Be written in English or accompanied by an English translation (by an Official Sworn Translator)

Check whether your documents will need to be certified or notarised

UK Residents

As long as you pass our online checking process, your documents will not need to be certified or notarised. If you are the only person involved with the company and also the account holder please click here. If you have more than one officer within the company or your officers differ from the account holder please click here.

EU residents

Both of your proof of ID and proof of residential address documents must be certified and be accompanied by the relevant official stamp and signature from the certified person.

Non-UK and Non-EU residents

If you live outside both the UK and EU, your proof of ID and proof of residential address documents must be notarised by a Public Notary and accompanied by the relevant official stamp and signature from the notarised person.
Find a Public Notary in the UK
Find a Public Notary in the EU

Who can certify documents?

The following professional person or authority can certify documents:

  • Made Simple (You must come to our office with original documents**)
  • Post Office
  • Bank or Building Society Official
  • Dentist
  • Chartered Accountant
  • Solicitor/ Lawyer or Notary
  • Local Town Hall
  • Doctor

The following persons cannot certify documents:

  • Those related to you
  • Living at the same address; or
  • In a relationship with you

** You cannot bring ID and/ or Proof of address for any other person other than yourself. In other words, the person to whom the document belongs must be present in order for us to certify them.

What should a certified document look like?

You will need to take the photocopied document and the original and ask the professional person or authority to certify the copy by:

  1. Writing: "Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me" on the document
  2. Signing and dating the document
  3. Printing their name under the signature
  4. Adding their occupation, address and telephone number
  5. Stamp the document with their personal or professional stamp (mandatory)

Please Note: The certification must be present on the actual document to be validated successfully. It must be on both the proof of ID and proof of residential address. Please see the image below for a visual representation.

Failure to send the necessary documents

ID documents must be received within 6 weeks of your initial payment. Failure to send acceptable ID will result in your company being reported to Companies House and the removal of your Registered Office address.


What happens if my online check fails?
If you fail the online verification check or we cannot manually check online to authenticate you then you would have to supply us with a proof of ID and proof of address; both certified.

I haven't got my ID documents to hand at the moment. Can I still incorporate my company?
Yes. You have the option to continue and submit your company registration and then send us your documents within 6 weeks of registration. 

Does my passport/driving licence count as both proof of ID and residential address?
The passport or driving licence counts as just the proof of ID and not proof of residential address. Therefore, you must supply a separate proof residential address document.

What happens if my director or Person with Significant Control is a company and not a person?
You would need to provide a certificate of good standing (or certificate of incumbency) which includes the director's names of that company. These documents must also be certified.

Can I email my documents first to check whether it will be accepted?
Yes, if you send your documents to we will let you know whether it would be accepted or not.

Chinese, French, Italian and Spanish translations available:

Read this article in Chinese -  請按此處閱讀中文版

Read this article in French -  Voulez-vous lire ceci en français? Cliquez ici

Read this article in Italian -   Leggi questo articolo in italiano

Read this article in Spanish -  ¿Te gustaría leer esto en español? haga clic aquí

Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon .com

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us